A film by: Baltasar Kormákur
Screenplay by: Baltasar Kormákur & Ólafur Egill Egilsson
White Night Wedding was opened in Iceland January 18th 2008 and was first released internationally at the Toronto International Film Festival September 7th 2008.
At the EDDA Awards in November 2008 the film received 7 Awards.
- Film of the year
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Hilmir Snaer Gudnason
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Throstur Leo Gunnarsson
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Olafia Hronn Jonsdottir
- Cinematographer of the year: Bergsteinn Bjorgulfsson
- Costumes of the year: Helga I. Stefansdottir
- Set design of the year: Gretar Reynisson and Atli Geir Gretarsson
The film is inspired by Anton Checkhov's stage play Ivanov and was filmed in the small island Flatey with an all-Icelandic cast and crew. White Night Wedding was developed simultaneously for stage and screen with the same cast.
To this date the film has received the following international nominations:
1. Iceland´s entry for the Oscar nominations 2009 - foreign language film.
2. Nominated for the 2008 Nordic Film Council Prize
White Night Wedding was Iceland's entry for the Oscar nominations 2009 – The Foreign Language Film.
Jon, a middle-aged professor is about to get married for the second time. This time to a young woman, half his age. There are those who oppose to the marriage, including his future parents-in-law.
When the guests start flocking to the island where the marriage is to be held, the groom starts getting cold feet. His mind goes back to the year before, when he moved to the island with his first wife.
Region 2 DVD